My name is Al and I am a Physical Therapy Graduate Student at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons in NYC. I hope you are enjoying my experiences with my classmates. PT School is truly an adventure. Please spread the word to all of your friends and family to check back for new posts and more fun!

Monday, March 28, 2005

Don't touch my feet, they are ticklish....

Here we go again, "learning" crazy and exciting things. Darn this education thing, it's killing my brain cells. Just kidding of course, I love this type of stuff. Today in Concepts in Therapeutic Exercise, Lab Professor johnson and Professor Guimond taught us all about subtalar neutral and its applications to gait re-education.
All of my classmates and I love it when we have fun stuff to do in class, because simply sitting in a chair for 2 hours at a time gets boring. Today was a fun day, because we got to challenge ourselves and each other at balancing. Naturally, I brought my camera to capture some of the fun for everyone. Enjoy the pictures!

Here we find Professor Johnson working with Sarah Cohen to determine subtalar neutral on Travis's nice feet!


If I did not know any better, I would say Mary was a shoe salesperson. Ok, it's a good thing I know what she is doing. She is always very determined when she works, just look at the expression!


After playing with each others feet for a while, we moved on to more advanced things. Here we see Toni watching Beth perform 2-leg stance with eyes closed, and of course her ankles in subtalar neutral. Believe me, this stuff is tough to teach and to do.


Jon makes this wobble board exercise look easy. Imee is guarding him well. (Good body mechanics, Imee!) Of course, Julie is fooling around (again) in the background of this photo.


Here is alicia guarding Frank on the BAPS board. This thing was one of the hardest exercises to perform, especially in a single leg stance with eyes closed. Frank is a great snow-boarder, so he is great at all of these balance exercises. I did pretty well too. I still think that doing the dynamic exercise stuff at LCHS with Daryl was harder. Maybe he was just more intimidating because he could do it too!


Finally we find toni on the mini-tramp performing single-leg balance with Travis guarding her. Beth is ready to begin some balance training with the basketball, and really wanted to start tossing it to Toni on the mini-tramp. Toni needs a little more practice before she can do that. Props to Professor Johnson for the mini-tramp hook-up. Not bad for $3 at a yard sale, eh? Boy, I feel safe using it...


This is the stuff that makes PT School so much fun, and even more fun to tell to others. This is why I have this site, and want you to pass it to as many people as possible. I especially want to get out to those who may be interested in pursuing a DPT or an MSPT in the future. This site is my gift and insight to show them the ups and downs of PT School. I feel that an inside look before they make that type of decision is important, so pass the word.

Off to the books for me....

See you next post!

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

024_21
Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com  
343948;523232fp3;=ot>2324=<;3=;67=XROQDF>2323864998-47ot1lsiMe and Ilana Me and the Dr. S and Dr. K P7090007Me and Tom 343948;523232fp46=ot>2324=<;3=;67=XROQDF>232386499-644ot1lsiI don't know these guys