My name is Al and I am a Physical Therapy Graduate Student at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons in NYC. I hope you are enjoying my experiences with my classmates. PT School is truly an adventure. Please spread the word to all of your friends and family to check back for new posts and more fun!

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Marathon excitement in the "Big Apple"

Today I had a wonderful friend (Sheila) come to NYC to prepare for the NYC Marathon, which takes place tomorrow. She traveled all the way from MA to participate and I know she will do very well.
After a nice brunch at a diner, we took the A-train (subway) to the Jacob Javits Convention Center for the pre-race expo. It was a very busy place, full of very fit people and extremely over-priced running gear. I think I saw one booth selling "Performance Underwear" for $16 a pair! I am not making this stuff up!
During my desperate search for the lavatory I noticed that a young lady was signing autographs at a not very busy booth. With my digital camera in hand I headed over and realized that it was multiple Olympic medal winner Jenny Thompson! I was psyched to have a photo opportunity with a world-class athlete and cute medical student.



Well, she was not much of a conversationalist (not like there were people backed-up in line) and seemed rather disinterested in signing a picture for me, but I got one anyway. Quickly after leaving I realized that it was REALLY weird to see a SWIMMER at a RUNNING expo. Don't you think that was weird? Sheila and I finished grabbing whatever schwag (free stuff) we could and then bolted out of the expo.
We hailed a cab and began our trip back to the hotel to relax and wait for her husband to arrive. Our cab ride was directly out of a Seinfeld episode. Our cabbie told us that he was starving because he is fasting for a religious holiday. I then proceeded to inquire if it was safe for him to handle a motorized vehicle. He responded by stating "I have had plenty of water, don't worry!" How could I not worry with such a safe driver behind the wheel. It was a 10-minute cab ride, but he seemed to make fun of everything from Gatorade to Starbucks coffee while praising Dunkin' Donuts for having the best coffee because it was the least acidic. It was well worth the $10 for the trip.
Back at the "Euro-fancy" hotel Sheila was staying at, we relaxed and waited for her husband (Tom) to arrive.



Two of my (cute) classmates joined the three of us for dinner at a really super restaurant on the Upper West Side called Isabella's. I strongly recommend the sesame encrusted yellow fin tuna, it was unreal! We had a great dinner and a great laugh before splitting ways for the evening.

Sheila, Tom and me!



Nicole, Renee and some random bald guy...



Tomorrow promises to be a breat day for Sheila and the other 40,000 or so runners in the 2004 ING NYC Marathon. Sheila will do really well because her race number is her lucky number. What's your lucky number? :-)

What a coincidence that her race number is her lucky number!



See you after the marathon!

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

024_21
Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com  
343948;523232fp3;=ot>2324=<;3=;67=XROQDF>2323864998-47ot1lsiMe and Ilana Me and the Dr. S and Dr. K P7090007Me and Tom 343948;523232fp46=ot>2324=<;3=;67=XROQDF>232386499-644ot1lsiI don't know these guys